Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Arabic Calligraphy

I have been fascinated with Arabic Calligraphy for some time now.  I think it started a couple of years ago when I was teaching 7th grade about the rise of Islam in history and then (teaching art simultaneously) had them try out some Islamic Calligraphy.  I even had them look at some illuminated manuscripts and illustrations and tesselations to further understand the medieval Arabic culture.  Hopefully they learned something while I was rambling. 
Anyway, I have been practicing some calligraphy with various pens and nibs.  I came across this symbol for love.  I think it is beautiful.  There are several others.  Although I am no expert in Arabic Calligraphy, there seems to be different styles.

Here are some pages from my altered book which allowed me to combine some painting techniques and practice the calligraphy at the same time.
Above on the left is another version of love.  On the right is Freedom.  On the right is the Arabic Alphabet.

 Above is the symbol of love again, I thought it interesting to put it next to a painting by Waterhouse which shows Narcissus and his self-love.    "What thou seest fair creature....is thyself"

I hope to have some more time to practice and possibly learn Arabic.  It is drawing me in.



No comments:

Post a Comment