Saturday, December 31, 2011

A New Year

Tomorrow is New Years Day.  I am overwhelmed with many  thoughts, inspirations, and anticipations.  Our life during the past couple of years have been full of uncertainty, but at the same time, we have been pressing on towards a certain goal the whole time.  Our lives will change dramatically this year as these goals will come to fruition.
This will present new challenges since my boys are 12 and 14, they love their lives and friends right now, and don't want too much to change. 
For myself, I think of Duke Leto from Dune.  Before leaving his home planet which is predominately water, for the desert planet he tells his son, "I'll miss the sea, but a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken!"  
I think this is true.  Without change, something does sleep inside of us.  I have been asleep for far too long.  I long for change, for a new horizon, for the unknown.  Suburbia has caused me to slumber, and this sense of preparing for a life change has stirred me. 
This new year fills me with promise, hope and yes, to be honest, a little anxiety! 
I couldn't put it better than Bono from U2... "I will begin again"  Not sure about what my resolutions will be, but I am sure they will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment