Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wildflowers


For myself I hold no preferences among flowers, so long as they are wild, free, spontaneous. Bricks to all greenhouses! Black thumb and cutworm to the potted plant! ~Edward Abbey

Ever since I was a young girl, I have loved wildflowers. Every day, I would pick a bouquet of roadside blooms. Upstate New York has quite a variety of pretty ones.  During my adult life, living in Wisconsin, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and New York has exposed to me to many different native flowers. However, I have never seen such a plethora of beautiful colors as I have seen the past few weeks in Texas. And its October! Wild sunflowers, daisies, and others I need to research the names of are in full bloom in the fields everywhere!
I snuck back behind our development yesterday, where there is a little forest with small meadows and awesome gnarly trees to take some photos.  Today, I couldn't resist picking some while walking Rose to school.  In New Hampshire, you can get ticketed for picking wildflowers.  I don't know the laws in Texas, so I have been expecting the military police to track me down all morning.

Daisies in October!  In New York, they are a June flower. In NH, late June, early July.   In NC, they are a May bloom.  Although this flower is in the daisy family, it is not the same species as the spring variety.  Still is pretty, though.



 This looks like a sweetpea.

 I think this is some sort of sunflower.  They grow rather tall with multiple blooms on each plant.
 If you take a close look at the leaves, they are really cool.  I have no idea what type of flower this is.  I need a flower identifier for this area.

 Some short ground level yellow daisies.





 And here is my bouquet, which I am sure will be the cause of me being dragged away by the MPs.


I am rather embarassed by the fact that I don't know the names of all of the flowers. I think I need to take a trip to Barnes and Noble for a Wildflower field guide. And maybe a latte. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Bouquet!!! I am with you- I love wildflowers and love having fresh flowers in little bunches on the table or windowsill. Even though they don't last long, they bring so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to Texas and pick flowers with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete