Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Charles Dicken's Girl

In a way, I think I lucked out.  I was born to a father who exposed me to fine music (and made sure I learned music theory), fine art, classic literature, and a love for nature. He did something else for me too, although it is tied into the classic literature part.  He put the desire in my heart to be a certain type of girl.  I guess it began when he named me Rebekah. He gave me my name because he loved how the biblical Rebekah had a servant's heart.  When she saw a tired man wearied from a long journey in need of water, she not only provided him with water, but took care of his animals as well.  He wanted me to be that type of girl.  A girl who notices those in need and does what she can to bring them relief.  He spoke about the Charles Dicken's Girl, as well.

If anyone reads any of Dicken's novels, amidst the intricate web of relationships, social concern, politics, and intrigue, there is a great character study going on.  One of the re-occuring characters is a particular girl.  This girl is sweet, humble, good, beautiful (but not only or always physically), smart, and emanates a spirit of light to everyone.  Reading these novels, I have always been inspired to be more like Agnes, Rose, Dorritt and Esther. (Concerning beauty, Esther from Bleak House, became more beautiful after her face was scarred from small pox.  She actually changed the standard of beauty by her beautiful inner soul.)
This archetype  was inspired by a real girl in Dicken's life.  He was in a cold marriage to a woman with whom he had lots of children.   Her younger sister came to help with the household. She also became a confidant to him and he shared his writings with her.  He valued her opinion more than anyone else's.   She lived with them for three years, and suddenly died when she was 17. Charles took a ring from her finger and wore it for the rest of his life in memory of her.  Of course, I realize, he probably idolized her after she died and created a character larger and more beautiful than anyone in life can be.
That doesn't mean that it is wrong to try to live up to such an ideal.
I don't come close, of course.  I am a wretched person most of the time.  And very selfish.  But that is the value of reading classic literature.  Seeing the deep themes which affect human nature.  Being inspired by selfless acts and strong characters.  Becoming concerned with the child who society has wronged.  Trying to be better than you are.  I want to be like Agnes.  And I will make every effort NEVER to be like Estella, or worse Mrs.  Haversham!!!
That is the value of  reading a good Dickens novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment