Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Angelus

So I learned something new today.  As much as I like Salvador Dali, I never realized that the above painting named "Archeological Reminiscences of Millet's Angelus" was based on Millet's "The Angelus".  Although I was familiar with both paintings visually, I never connected the names.  I know... you can say a big Homer Simpson "DUH" here.

The Angelus is a prayer based on the Angel coming to Mary in the gospels.  In the 1400's onward,   when the church bells rang (three times a day) the peasants would stop their labor and say the prayer.  Further Info on the Angelus  and even more plus the prayer in Latin.
 The peasants looked as if they were merely praying their daily prayer.  However, Dali was obsessed with this image.  He did not believe the couple were praying their daily prayers, but  praying for a dead child (or unborn child).  . Dalí was so insistent on this fact that eventually an X-ray was done of the canvas, and the painting contains a painted-over geometric shape strikingly similar to a coffin.  It is unclear whether Millet changed his mind on the meaning of the painting, or even if the shape actually is a coffin.
I want to know more about Dali's painting, but have to pull out my books, since these internet sites seem to be more interested in selling reproductions and prints than giving information.  However, I think, Dali had made some association with  sex and death.  I will probably add on to this more later, send me emails or comments to your ideas.  I would love to hear.Angelus

No comments:

Post a Comment