Monday, January 9, 2012

St. Katniss of Arc ?


Several years ago, I was student teaching in Wisconsin in a 6th grade classroom.  Somehow, I happened to be placed in a classroom which was horrid!  They were "that" class, the one class which every teacher remembers with a shudder.  On top of that, my husband and I had just found out we were expecting.  I could barely move with fatigue, and I was so hungry all the time.  It was an interesting 10 weeks, to say the least.  At the end of the quarter, I swore I would never, ever, EVER teach!  There were a few mean girls.  They were awful to anyone outside of their clique. One day a particularly mean girl, Sarah, started making fun of a heavier girl causing her to cry.  This happens to be one of my soap boxes  and told her how awful she was and sent her to the office.  Before she left she told me I would never be a "real" teacher!  After she left, I broke down and cried.  I don't usually let that happen in public, but I was 5 months pregnant!  What do you expect?   I didn't let her know she upset me so much with her statement.
A few weeks later, an assignment was due.  I had assigned a special biography project to the class.  Each student was supposed to choose a historical biography and complete a paper and oral report.  Sarah chose Joan of Arc.  I didn't expect too much.  To my surprise, Sarah not only loved the book, she was inspired.  She was almost in tears while speaking about the bravery and courage of Joan of Arc. One of the reasons why I think it is so important for students to read classics and biographies is exactly that.  In the hope that they inspire them to reach for higher goals and cast aside behavior which hurts others.  Joan of Arc gave her life in an attempt to win freedom for the unpopular.  I don't think this was lost on Sarah.
I just finished reading the Hunger Games Trilogy.  I loved the series, can't wait for the movie.  Part of which, was filmed a few miles from my house.

While reading, I kept on thinking about how Katniss was similar to Joan of Arc. She is one of my favorite heroines of all time. She was the leader, a symbol of hope to an army of deflated soldiers, a girl who became so much more than society would ever allow.  Here is a great summary of her life .. http://archive.joan-of-arc.org/joanofarc_short_biography.html 

Katniss was a lot like Joan of Arc.  A young sixteen year old girl, who became a symbol for a revolution against oppression.  Just like Joan, Katniss triggered a whole nation of people to fight for freedom.  There are of course many differences.  Joan relied on her faith.  Katniss had none, atleast no faith in a higher power.  Joan saw visions of Saints and was called a Saint herself, which inspired many to follow her.  Which leads me to my next rambling.  Did Joan really see visions?
Its not that I don't believe in people seeing visions, I am just always....skeptical.  The way I see it, logically, of course, is that either Joan DID see visions of Saints who told her what she had to do, she was crazy and saw hallucinations, or she lied about the whole thing.
I do not think she was crazy.  First of all, I do not think a whole army would follow an insane person, although, a whole nation followed Hitler, so perhaps this is my weakest idea.
She could have actually have seen visions of the exact saints which would inspire poor people to fight for their country.  She saw visions of  the Archangel  Michael,  who had recently become the patron saint of the French Army.  If God was to send visions to a maid, they would be meaningful.  Like that.
I wonder if it would be such a crime to suggest that perhaps she exaggerated her visions in the effort to gain support.  It has been done before.  It will be done again.   Using religious fervor to fight a war.
Either way, her story is incredible.  Even more than Katniss's tale.  It has a martyr's ending, which is tragic.  But to live every second of your life under conviction, and having the ability to inspire men to fight for honor and justice.  I can't help but admire Joan.  I like Katniss.  I admire Joan.

So of course I have to wrap up with one of my favorite songs and my favorite bands.  The Smiths as they sing "Now I know how Joan of Arc felt when the flames rose to her Roman nose and her hearing aid started to melt".   Classic

No comments:

Post a Comment