Thursday, March 15, 2012

whiskey painting and botanical gardens

 This past Sunday afternoon, I attended a Cabarrus County Art Guild meeting (I LOVE saying I am part of the GUILD!)  A member from the official society for Whiskey Painters of America was there to do a demo.  We all had the opportunity to create our own miniature painting.  Whiskey painting is a style which was developed in the 1940's by a guy who would go to a local bar after work with his friends.  He always carried a tiny set of watercolors and some paper with him and ended up making it a daily occurrence that he and his friends would paint, using whiskey instead of water to wet the paints.  The whiskey reacts with the paint different than water, creating a vibrant hue and dries a lot quicker.  It totally changes the process.  I do not have whiskey (you can use any hard liquor) in the house, or else I would have created several more paintings by today.  I am not overly happy about the above pansy painting, but I guess its good for my first try.

And speaking of pansies, have you ever wondered why "pansy" is used to describe a weaker person?  A pansy is a very hardy flower surviving much colder weather than most other flowers.

And speaking of flowers, my friend and I visited the botanical gardens and greenhouses at UNCC today.   It was a GORGEOUS 80 degree day today.  The flowers were starting to bloom.  In a couple of weeks, I plan to go back to take pictures of the rhododendren which will be in full beauty.

 The above flower is a wildflower we use to find in the woods as a kid.  If you pick it, red liquid pours from the stem, we called it bloodroot, but I haven't researched the proper name.
 These are all from the greenhouses.  There are some really extraordinary tropical and desert plants grown there.  The big root, I just thought had a cool shape.







I have no idea what this is, but it looked edible...









It was a great day to ramble about.

No comments:

Post a Comment