Monday, November 21, 2011

Ransom Stoddard

I have been thinking about one of my favorite movies lately.  "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" starring James Stewart and John Wayne.  When my son Ransom was born, some old-timers told me to check out this movie because Jimmy Stewart plays a character named Ransom.  I don't know if you know this, but there are not that many Ransoms in the world.  (A fact that I am very proud of :)
The movie is great.  Here is a trailer...Liberty Valance  or blurb.  Seriously, it is a great western.  It is even better because it explores the whole hero concept.  The contrast of John Wayne's character with Jimmy Stewart's is priceless.  Ransom Stoddard (Stewart) is a senator in the newly established government of the old west.  He apparently got the job through his reputation for killing one of the worst bullies ever.  He carries the guilt of the killing for years, thinking he actually did it.  John Wayne plays the tough guy, never back down character that he always does.  I don't want to expand too much more, in case you want to watch it.
The whole point is that in this movie,  heroes come in different shapes and forms.   I think both of these men are heroes.  Ransom was not a fighter, but was willing to fight physically or legally to bring justice to the land.  Wayne, the gunslinger, gave up a family life and comforts to fight injustice in his own way.  I think that in this world, both types of heroes are needed.  Heck, we need heroes in whatever shape or form we can find them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment