Thursday, February 23, 2012

Names and Artistic doodling

For a while now, when a friend has a child, I have painted a piece for the baby's room.  My sister wanted the sex of the baby to be a surprise, so I was working on a neutral sheep (her theme) painting for the nursery.  It was not working for me.  She had the baby and no spectacular painting.  So, this is what I came up with when I heard the baby's name.  Adeline is a family name from my dad's side and Frances is a family name from my sister's husband's family.  Now at least she has something pink. 



In other artistic pursuits, I have been mainly doodling.  There is a trend in art called Zentangles, it is basically structured doodling.  I have been looking at some online and it has been a lot of fun.  Zentangles are awesome because you do not need any artistic experience to learn, but as an art teacher, there is a lot of skill development.  Some of my art lessons have doodling included which are very similiar to the Zentangle approach.zentangle explanation 
What I have below are not really zentangles though, but my own take on artistic doodling.

Not a zentangle, but a watercolor poppy.  Poppies always remind me of the Wizard of Oz.
Above are a couple of my Zentangles.
A sketch of a rose from my Valentines bouquet. My husband, bought me the best bouquet this year, because it was a mix of red, pinks, and white.  I think the white ones were my favorites.  Red roses are so hackneyed.  And they are more difficult to sketch, since the values are so dark.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you have your art stuck right on the pages of a book like that. I've always wanted to alter a book kind of like that, but haven't ever quite had the guts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it. There is no way to alter a book the wrong way. It really helps free up your creative juices.

    ReplyDelete