Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The most awesome Caspar David Friedrich

Recently, I have been captivated by the paintings of Caspar David Friedrich.  His paintings are nothing short of haunting. His visions of ancient church ruins, as well as lonely souls staring out at sea and mist intrigue me.  A sense of longing, called by C.S. Lewis "joy" tug at my heart while searching his art galleries online.

Here is one I especially like, It is called Abbey among Oak Trees. As I looked for background information, I found out that it is about the splitting of the church during the reformation.  As you look at the details, the message is unmistakable. 

T
This is the companion painting:  Monk on the Seashore.

Another of my favorites is The Wanderer Above the Mists

And then there is Two Men Contemplating the Moon




As always, his worldview/theology is reflected in his work.  He saw nature as a revelation of God.  The  decay and  beauty of nature, as well as the overwhelming majesty seeps through every brush stroke.
It is said of his work that he discovered "the tragedy of nature".  I like that.  The overwhelming beauty and at the same time, the destruction that is inherent in our world both in conflict.


No comments:

Post a Comment