Saturday, May 12, 2012

Vincent Mercaldo - Historian and Artist Take 2

Ironically, days after I posted about my Dad's great uncle Vincent Read about him here., one of my uncles near NYC connected with his grandson.  Tom has shared quite a few images and has shed some light on his life.
 Here is an excerpt of an email he wrote in 2006 to a museum which housed some of his collection:
  Despite creating some wonderful paintings, what my grandfather was really known for was his knowledge of history and his collection of original documents, letters images, posters and photos.   His paintings and documents were featured in many encyclopedia's, (1940 and 1950's era) and reference to his archives can be found in most historical works on William Cody that were written during this era.  Within the family we have dozens of autographed first edition books from writers that had used his materials in their publications.  Even today 40 years after his death, his collection will be featured in upcoming PBS specials including one on Annie Oakley this month and one on the Transcontinental railroad in June.  

This is an incredible painting of Custer's Last Stand.

 And a very unique portrait of Christ...



And another fascinating portrait - one of William Cody.

Apparently, he started out with watercolors (like the ones I own)  and as he matured as an artist, progressed to oils such as these.  I think its inspiring to learn about someone who has a passion for something and can go on to share these passions with future generations.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Rebekah. I am your 2nd (or 3rd) cousin. I think that your father may have been my cousin Isaac. Or, maybe he was your grandfather? Vincent Mercaldo was my uncle, his sister was my mother, Bella Mercaldo. We lived across the hall from each other in Queens, NY. I grew up (as did his children and grandchildren) seeing a lot of Buffalo Bill and American Western memorabilia, photos, paintings, glass negatives, etc. I would sit at Uncle Vincent's feet in his small studio and watch him paint and he would tell me what he was doing and why. I knew I wanted to be an artist from the time I was about five years old, and Uncle Vincent encouraged me. I've been in touch with Tom, and the history of the connection between Vincent and Col. Cody continues. Just wanted to say hello and connect with you. Thank you for publishing some of Vincent's paintings. They are very familiar to me. Your blog is wonderful and your writing is clear and insightful. I'll check back now and then to see how things are going. Meanwhile, love from a stranger......your cousin, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, So glad to hear from you! Isaac was my grandfather. Thank you so much for your story and for reading my blog. I never knew I would be able to connect with distant relatives like this. It is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe Picior8:44 AM

    Hi Rebekah, my name is Joe, and Vincent was my great grandfather on my mothers side. I have two of his original oils, as well as two of his original sketches, one pencil and one pen and ink. My mother, his grand daughter from her mothers side has several of his original oils, and even a carving he did. I think it's great you have taken the time to post this blog about him, I was quite happy to find it, and to see his work still being appreciated and shared. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you found my blog too. Thanks for sharing your connection. I would love to see the oils and sketches you have, if you don't mind sending digital images to my email. (I won't share them on my blog unless you want me to.) I grew up with the three watercolors which I shared on my other post, hanging on the walls of my house. We knew so little about him, but I always loved his art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be happy to send them to you. I'll gladly take some pics and email them to you. I will have to unpack them, since my recent move to Florida, they are safely packed up, but I will get those for you for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I went on line to gather some information about my great uncle, Vincent Mercaldo. I was very pleased to see postings from family members. My grandmother was Nancy Mercaldo whose married name was Nancy Ruotolo. Vincent was her older brother. My mother is Adelaide "Della" Spinelli. She said that a museum in Albuquerque, New Mexico has some of his artwork. I would love to learn more about our great uncle. My name is LuAnn Spinelli Polk

    ReplyDelete
  7. LuAnn, so glad you found my blog! If you find out any more information, please let me know. I am glad to know that Albuerque has a museum. I would love to visit it! If you come across any images of his artwork, can you please share them with me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. I would love to share any info that I find with you. There was an article in New Yorker magazine about Uncle Vincent. He worked for Brooks Brothers designing ties. It discusses his collection of Wild West Memorabilia.

      Delete