Saturday, April 14, 2012

Angel Oak Tree and other pastel paintings

During the past couple of days I have attended a watercolor/pastel workshop.  I am really going to miss the Cabarrus Art Guild when I move.  The people who I meet through the events and classes are amazing.
My goal was to not only learn more about the medium, but to push myself creatively.  Lately, a lot of my paintings have been "flat".  Lacking something.....magical.  So, I thought that this was a great opportunity to try to rediscover that essence. During the workshop we learned some techniques with layering pastels over watercolor backgrounds and acrylic washes.  It is a great technique for a watercolor that is not working out "right" , you can fix it with a layer of pastels. 

I have always drawn trees, probably since I was 7 years old.  I love them.  But until recently, I did not know about the Angel Oak tree in South Carolina.  A friend was telling me about it, and it is an amazing tree, and it is extremely old.  And it is the #2 most photographed tree in America.  I heard that some developer is trying to cut it down to put a housing development there.  Can I just say, that would not happen in tree-loving Vermont.  How could anyone think of hacking down such a beautiful triumph of nature?   Here is a pastel sketch on canvas paper of the Angel Oak Tree. (not totally done, but I am at a point where I do not know yet what I need to do to finish it)






The next is a seascape which I attempted with a black gessoed background and rougher texture.


Another seascape with warm hues on a sanded paper.

 My favorite technique became using pastels on a metallic background.  This originally was supposed to be the essence of water or a waterfall,  one of the other artists at the workshop suggested this composition with the sun on the bottom.  I think it works.
 A gold background with mountain...

No comments:

Post a Comment