Thursday, June 16, 2011

Science Fiction: The modern mythologies

I love science fiction novels.  Probably the whole idea of escaping the present age and time is what is so very appealing.  Modern society has bred a climate of apathy.  And modern science has drained out fairytale mysticism from children's hearts.  So many children nowadays have so little exposure to fairy tales outside of the commercialized Disney version.  But... there is something of the fairy tale in the science fiction novel.  After all its not that "magic is only science that we havent discovered yet" (I think I heard a character in the movie Thor say that.) It is much more that most of science really has not been discovered yet.  Our scientists know so little of what reality is really about.  Even their facts are not much more than theories.
I just finished reading "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.  It made me want to revisit some of my favorites. And I would love some recommendation, as well.

Tripod Trilogy
Probably the first series which totally captured my imagination.  The BBC made a film adaptation which would only be interesting if you love the books.
Devil on my Back....
Time and Again 
 Dune
 Perelandra      Actually the whole trilogy is awesome.
Ender's Game
1984
John Carter 
Brave New World
Circle Trilogy
Talisman 
Fahrenheit 451


I think I will be adding a few more as I think of more that I have read and love.

Need to add one by Neil Gaiman (thought I hadn't read any of his, but this book is cowritten)
Interworld
and how could I forget classics like
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells and of course the War of the Worlds
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

A wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (and the rest of the series)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

This is on my wish list for Amazon
Time Travel Stories
Now to actually make one!







No comments:

Post a Comment