Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Poor Public Preconceptions

Sometimes certain phrases and words bring a negative or flimsy preconception into people's minds.  They hear a word and automatically conceive a thought, often erroneous.  I think this happens with the word "christian".  I often stay away from describing myself as such, mostly because of the connotations associated with the term, most of which have nothing to do with me.   Especially in the  Bible belt.  Here is an example See? Ted Dekker has a similar thought here.

But I was thinking of one of my favorite books.  It is The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.  Usually when one in this culture hear the word Unicorn, they think of a cartoonish horse with  a horn, bright rainbows, and stars.  Something that only a 10 year old girl would be interested in.  But this book is not that.  This book is exquisitely written.  Beagle is poetic, ironic, and unique all in one.  Here is a great review..Coolness.    I think that the evil beast named the Red Bull is funny, especially now, since Red Bull is such an evil drink.

Seriously, this book is great.  For instance, the main characters meet up with some outlaws.  These outlaws love Robin Hood but steal from the poor and give to the rich when it benefits them.   When offered hospitality from them, they are offered a 'taco'... although all they have is watered down rat soup.  The book continuously combines medieval fantasy with modern verbiage flawlessy in a hilarious manner!

I think what I love about this book is the fight against evil which is encompassed in the tale by a man who is selfish and wants to enslave beauty to 'be happy'.  The poorly animated movie in 1982, actually captures the essence of the adventure through script and acting.  Jeff Bridges and Christopher Lee are awesome.  The songs are awful, but I still like the movie.  My husband bought me the DVD for Christmas this year.  How sweet.  Right?  The Last Unicorn Movie   


It is always better to read the book.

What inspires me about the book is the concept of regret.  In the book, Unicorns cannot regret.  They accept and live on.  However, since the main character becomes human, and experiences the love of a mortal man.... it changes her.  She is able to regret.  But even though she cannot live with the prince/hero when she is changed back to a unicorn, she does not regret her love.  She is thankful to him for allowing her to experience it.

Some medieval tapestries ...I love these

Enough rambling for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment