Thursday, June 9, 2011

Musings about Harry Potter

A few years ago, I was teaching an eighth grade science class.  My students were very intelligent.  At least when it came to getting me to do what I do best...ramble!  Most of the time, we did stay on track, but there were times when we would talk about other things.  Harry Potter was a favorite topic.  I love those books! 

One day while our conversation was on Harry Potter, the kids started discussing who they "were" or identified with.  One girl identified with Hermione.  One boy was actually called "Ron" by his classmates as a nickname, so he was Ron.  Another girl actually wanted to be Bellatrix!  Not a good one in my opinion!  Pure evil.   I am not sure if anyone actually claimed Harry.  They started naming the teachers in our school.  One was Mrs. McGonagall and it was a great fit!   They thought at first that since I taught science, I needed to be Professor...Sprout  !  I took great offense to that.  Not only because I am not REALLY a science teacher.  I also taught Art, Bible, History, PE! and whatever else was needed.  But I have a passion and love for art and art history.  And being compared to a frumpy witch is AWFUL!
I explained that to them, and added that I knew who I was! 
Can you guess? 
Hermione?  A little .... in some ways I understand her.  A lot actually.
Ginny?  Yes, I understand her too!
But the character I totally feel connected with is Lilly Evans Potter.  In some ways that is a little egotistical.  I know. 
But I find it totally inspiring.  And my students were totally impressed! 
Not going into too many details, her marriage to James, her believing her first born son had a special purpose, and being willing to do anything for him (I hope Ransom and my other two kids know that).

Overall, I believe that Lilly's character totally supports the whole Potter saga.  Her love saved Harry, protected him and in the end, saved everyone from the evil Voldemort.  That is inspiring.  I hope I can have just a little of that influence in my world.

This reminded me of some funny Harry Potter videos. Enjoy.
Ticking Noise
Snape, Snape
Lego!


Not funny, but I love the Killers! Severus









1 comment: