Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Book of Kells and a Cat

This morning, my daughter and I watched one of our favorite movies, The Secret of Kells.  She said, "This is the most creative movie ever!"
It is an animated movie with a very distinct, unique, beautiful style. The story focuses on a monastery which is preparing for a Viking invasion, while the famous Book of Kells is being written.  It speaks about the creation of the Chi Ro page, which is below:
Anyone who knows me, knows how I love ancient Celtic... everything.  This movie is right up my alley. The characters speak about how the intricate designs in the illuminated manuscripts are inspired by nature.   Father Aiden speaks about the designs on a butterfly wing.  As Brendan explores the forest, the designs of the fiddleheads (by the way, fiddleheads are delicious steamed with butter), vines and even mist mirror the illuminator's designs.  I like how when they talk about the Book, they say it will turn darkness into light. What a beautiful way to view the Gospels written in the Book of Kells.  The knowledge found in these manuscripts, the knowledge of the perfect love of Christ allows us to understand the God who brings Light into the darkness of our minds and souls.
But there is another reason why I love this movie. It is the cat, Pangur Ban.  I appreciate it when literature and media connect on various levels.
There is a very old Irish poem, which has been attributed to an Irish monk. It was found in the margins of a 9th century? manuscript.  It is quite possibly, one of the most delightful poems about an animal ever written.  And I don't even like cats. I really don't.  But my dog is more like a cat than a dog, so maybe I do, or would if they didn't give me hives.
Back to the poem, here is one translation:


I & Pangur Ban my cat 

'Tis a like task we are at: 
Hunting mice is his delight, 
Hunting words I sit all night. 



'Tis a merry thing to see 
At our tasks how glad are we, 
When at home we sit & find 
Entertainment to our mind. 



'Gainst the wall he sets his eye, 
Full & fierce & sharp & sly; 
'Gainst the wall of knowledge I 
All my little wisdom try. 



So in peace our task we ply 
Pangur Ban my cat & I; 
In our arts we find our bliss, 
I have mine & he has his. 



In addition, I found a really cool t-shirt with Pangur Ban on it - Pangur Ban T-Shirt.  

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog...it really makes me think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT? Someone who has lived through "all the ages of this world" has been caused to think from my humble blog? Are you truly a part of Elrond's kin?

    ReplyDelete