Friday, January 13, 2012

Deprived?

So, I have been in the extremely uncomfortable situation of sharing a computer lately.  One laptop between the 5 of us. It is only temporary, but really cramps my style!

And I would like to add... it was not my fault.  SOME people may have said in the past that I have an aura of breaking electronic devices.  OTHER people have said that all I have to do is touch a computer, and it stops working.  But I refute that claim.  It truly was not my fault.
  Regardless, we are now sharing my 14 year old son's laptop. 
   I am laughing about this because it makes me realize how rich and spoiled we are.  Like many other americans, we have tightened our belts during the past year or so, but when it comes down to it, we are so rich.  Compared to the majority of the Earth's population that is.  We are not hungry, we are clothed, we live in a 2000+ square foot house, and the  kids are privileged to an excellent free education.  The small inconvenience of having to share a computer, when compared to the way the rest of the world lives is so inconsequential. In fact, it has made my New Year's Resolution of cutting back on computer/facebook time a lot easier.

W hen I was reading the Hunger Games,  I was struck by how Suzanne Collins described District 12's way of life as being so ... primitive.  Very little electricity, small living spaces, poor nutrition, poor medicine... yes, very primitive, but then I realized that was not what she meant.  The reality of today is that THAT is how most of the world lives, in THIS day and age.  We live like the people of the capitol.  Decadence, fashion, overindulgence and purging.   We either eat ourselves into oblivion or starve ourselves or purge.   . Most of the world eats to survive. The luxury of hot water and showers are not accessible to everyone on earth.  Most of the world do not enjoy the freedoms of religion and speech that we do.  Then we complain about the inconvenience of internet connections which don't work, or phone towers which don't work.  How trivial!

I dont mean this post to be judgemental in any way.  Just a reminder of how privileged we really are. 

I think that is part of my New Years Resolution this year.  I want to be more thankful for the little things, and use my time wisely.  Every day is a gift, and I want to treat it as such.  Instead of wasting time on facebook, mindless tv shows, and other material pursuits, my goal is to enjoy real conversation and activities with my family and friends.  Don't get me wrong, this is not going to be easy.    It actually takes more effort and creativity to sit down and play stratego with a 12 year old than to spend an hour on pinterest.  Cooking with a 10 year old requires patience and clean up than reading tumblr quotes.  I think what it is all about is self discipline.  So, I will put the computer down now and make a real breakfast.  Time to enjoy this new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment