Sunday, May 29, 2011

Arwen and Aragorn

Soon after we were married, James read the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Not being raised on this type of literature, he loved it instantly.  He saw himself as Strider.  The despised Ranger who was destined to be king. 
He brought Steven King to me to read.  Well, atleast the fantasy/sci fi King novels.  I especially liked the Talisman.  Anyway, I reread the trilogy that year and I read the Silmarillion for the first time.  If you have not read the Silmarillion, and you love the Lord of the Rings.... you need to.  Enough said.

It opens up with the Creation of Middle Earth.  Creation through music.  I love Beren and Luthien.  What a love story!  The lineage of Beren and Luthien lead directly to Aragorn and Arwen.  In a round about way atleast.  And it is a parallel tale.  Of men betrothed to immortal women.  In the first tale, Elrond and his brother are given the choice between humanity and immortality.  Elrond the half-elven chooses immortality.  His brother Elros, chooses mortality and humanity.  He becomes the first High King of Numenor.... from whom the Rangers ( and the Kings of Gondor) were descended.  They lived around 500 years long.  So although mortal, they had longevity!  There is much told about the island of Numenor and its demise caused by Sauron in the Silmarillion. 

That same summer, I read  the appendixes to the Return of the King.  There is the tale of how Arwen and Aragorn met.  It struck a chord with me.  Here James totally connected to Aragorn, he almost believed he was Strider.  And myself, I always believed I was Elven and a princess.  Oh and my good friend Lynn had already named my dad Elrond.  And he is!  although sometimes I think he is a little bit of Gandalf too!  So, naturally i have always thought of that story being James and me, although I cannot sing.  But that is a minor detail, right? 

Anyway, I few pictures this weekend of the Tree of Gondor.  I have been doing variations for the past few years.  Afterall, Arwen sent a banner to Aragorn of the same tree.  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.40247400546.53819.750870546#!/photo.php?fbid=10150190194475547&set=a.40247400546.53819.750870546&type=1&theater

I have another one and will embed it later, maybe when I have a computer that is up to date enought to be able to handle that kind of stuff...
detailed info on the romance of Arwen and Aragorn
http://www.tuckborough.net/arwen.html

No comments:

Post a Comment