Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May the Third and Lost - its a stretch but I did it!

I drive 30 minutes every Monday to teach art classes in a studio in the town of Davidson.  Davidson is the coolest college town and has a lot more charm than the other planned suburban neighborhoods which populate the city of Charlotte and the surrounding areas.  Concord is nice too, but has a lot more 'roughness' about it.  Both Charlotte and Davidson, however, have beautiful buildings rich in heritage and age.  The majority of the rest of the Charlotte area consists of houses built quickly for a profit during the last 20 years.  Every time there is a storm warning, I am sure that my whole street of houses will be whisked away in a violent wind.  Secretly, I almost hope that a tornado will come and take Neo and I to Oz.
As I was teaching some kids yesterday, I was cutting pieces of art out of an old art history textbook to use as references.  I came across this - The Third of May.  And today being the 3rd of May, I thought it was pretty cool and totally coincidentally ironic.   I really like Goya.  He was a true artist in that he didn't compromise. (No he was NOT a Thomas Kincaid!) He lived during the time of the Spanish Inquisition and he painted and drew cartoons which depicted the irony and tragedy of what he saw.  The Church did not like him very much.  There is a movie about him which stars Robert Downey Jr. and Natalie Portman http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455957/.  Probably not exactly historically accurate, and totally depressing, but look around at the world.... life is not exactly happy or just.    My favorite piece by Goya is The Sleep of Reason produces Monsters.   During the time of the enlightenment, the whole conflict between Reason vs. Faith was prevalent.  JUST LIKE IN LOST!  The best TV show EVER!

"Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters: united with her, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of their marvels."


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete