Saturday, May 14, 2011

Thoughts on war....



I think this may be an ongoing theme that I will write about.


I am trying to figure out what I really think and believe about war.  Once favoring pacifism, I am not sure what I think right now.  I do know that the reality:  there are men and women stationed all over the world for our country, fighting for freedom and all, and they need support.  And there are extremely evil people who take advantage of the weak.


I think the saddest movie I have ever seen is  "All Quiet on the Western Front".  My father made me watch it when I was pretty young, probably around 11 or 12.  I was so mad at him afterwards.  I think it was the first movie which I literally sobbed while watching it.  (the next one was probably Born on the Fourth of July).  It was a devastatingly realistic view of war. 


I think this stark realism is why so many people are fascinated with the history of wars.  It is real, it is not pretty, but somehow men are pushed to act courageously, even if they are not that type of person in civilian life.  When I taught middle school, I knew that to engage several of the boys in an intellectual conversation, all it took was to start talking about war... any war.  My dad was always fascinated with World War I.  My brother Luke is a World War 2 buff.  My brother Matt would rather program a computer.  Well, he enjoys reading about medieval fantasy war such as is written by Stephen Lawhead. My husband plays hours of Call of Duty every day.  So do my two boys.


I guess the reason I am really writing about this is that my husband has applied to the military in the hopes of becoming a chaplain.  If he is accepted, he will not carry a gun.  He will be trained to be a support to those soldiers in trouble and as a morale booster.  If anyone was made for this job, he is.   Since in this world, war seems inevitable, it means that there are men and women who are subjected to the horrors of it.  So, to be able to help, aid and love them is a worthy cause.   I am proud of him for his endeavors, and hope that he does not get his wish to die a glorious death while he is still young.


As far as fighting evil and those who would oppress and hurt the weak.... war may be necessary.  If that is really why the war is going on.  Like in the Lord of the Rings.  Aragorn had no choice but to bring his armies to Mordor to fight the evil and darkness which would cover the land.  Even with inevitable loss and no hope to win, they fought.


A quote which spoke to me ...“It’s not glorious, it’s not beautiful, it’s not even heroic. It’s just what’s right.”  Owls of Ga'hoole quote

No comments:

Post a Comment