Friday, May 6, 2011

Southern Folk Talk

I grew up in upstate NY, right near the Catskill mountains.  Most of my relatives lived and still live in the greatest city on earth. New York City.  Let me be clear, I would never want to live there, a little claustrophobic for me, but I love to visit.  Living in both the Midwest, New England  and currently in North Carolina, I have been able to experience some of the great cultural differences existing in our country.

This brings me to the indigenous cultural society of where I live now.  North Carolina.  Really, country folk are the same in back woods Vermont as in the south.  Really.  One of the biggest differences I have seen is the accent.  I really have trouble understanding southern drawl. 
But most of the people in our town are from the North, the Great Southern Migration is to blame for that.  Our neighbors are from Michigan, Ohio, New York..... not too many true southerners. And sadly not too many who speak true Southern.

Ransom, my 13 year old and oldest child, plays baseball for the local 13-15 boys baseball league.  He loves baseball, lives for it. 

My husband, James Mario, found this video on youtube  and we were laughing because this is Ransom's coach.  I cannot understand a word he says.   Ransom describes his coach as crazy.  3 hour practices are nothing for his team.  And he yells at them the entire time,  but the boys cannot understand what he is saying, so I find it a little amusing.   They just try to guess and pretend they understand.  I like him, he has a huge heart, great intentions, and he is who he is... no excuses.


If you do a search on youtube for black widow and airsoft, you will find this video as the first result.
Guess what?  I know this guy and the funny thing he is wearing a Young Life t-shirt while shooting this video.  This may be a little offensive to some, but seriously he doesn't mean it that way.  Read the comments, they are hilarious!  

To be honest, when I talk to my old friends and family and hear that NYC accent, my heart warms. Maybe because it reminds me of REAL pizza!




1 comment:

  1. There's a southern accent,
    Where I come from.
    The young'uns call it country,
    The Yankees call it dumb.
    I got my own way of talkin',
    But everything is done,
    With a southern accent,
    Where I come from.
    - Johnny Cash (the song is really good)

    ReplyDelete