Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Day!

Oh, its May Day!  I would love to find out if there is a local May Pole celebration.  About 3 years ago I was co- teaching with my mentor and friend.  We planned a medieval festival for our 7th grade students on May 1st!  She helped some groups write plays, we built a castle, I constructed a plastic maypole and decorated it with flowers.  I taught the girls how to make flower wreaths for their heads.. we dressed in costume and it was great fun.  I did some research on the maypole dance and the girls learned how to traditionally wrap the pole with their ribbons and dancing. 
Then I watched the original "wicker man" movie... and learned that the May Pole was really a phallic symbol.  WHAT?
Also, the 80s video "Safety Dance" by men without hats has some lovely MayPole dancing.  I love that song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII

No comments:

Post a Comment